The theory of evolution, as described by Charles Darwin in his book, “The Origin of Species,” is embraced by a large number of unbelievers, and sadly even some self-proclaimed Christians.
There are a number of significant issues that arise when trying to use a solid scientific method to legitimize “Darwinian” Evolution. In this article we will cover only a few of them.
Is Evolution True?
If you were to ask an evolutionist this question they would likely say, “Yes, definitely.” If you ask them why, most will likely say, “Because science proves it.” If you ask them to further explain, 90% or more of them will not be able to because their belief is based on blind-faith in professors and secular scientists who have told them that it’s true, not scientific evidence. Their faith is incredibly strong.
Those who are able to, like the secular scientists and professors, will use a technique that is commonly referred to as “bait and switch.” They will point to examples of change within a kind (or “family”) and say that it proves evolution. The problem is, they are referring to micro-evolution, which is true and is observable, but which does not produce a race of humans that came from a race of apes (macro-evolution).
The Difference Between Microevolution And Macroevolution
Microevolution or “adaptation” is change within a kind. For example, poodles and beagles have a common ancestor: the wolf. You can also selectively breed finches (for example) to have smaller, or larger, beaks over a few short generations. There are changes within the genes, but no new genetic information is added to the genetic makeup on any of these created kinds. Microevolution is observable and replicable. It is undeniably true. Nobody refutes that this is real science.
Macroevolution or “Darwinian evolution” is the theory that all animals and humans came from one common ancestor. Basically, macroevolution asserts that humans are animals. It says that all animals came from one single, simple life form millions and millions of years ago. It says that new genetic information has been, and continues to be, added to different species, constantly changing them beyond the known variation within kinds that we see today.
For example, this theory asserts that it would be possible for a type of cat to grow an elephant trunk over millions of years if the environment dictated. It says that if a cat needed an elephant trunk, it would somehow aquire new genetic information and grow one over time. There are three major problems with this theory:
- Nothing of this sort is suggested in the Word of God.
- It cannot be replicated in any way, shape, or form.
- There is no evidence in the fossil record that would suggest it.
Although they claim this is a process that happens over millions of years, if it were true, it should be replicable to a smaller extent over a few generations, but it cannot be. It is not scientifically possible for a created kind to acquire new genetic information.
Darwinian Evolutionists will point to the facts of microevolution and use that as “proof” of macroevolution. They do not separate the two. So, they use a “bait and switch” technique. Microevolution and macroevolution, however, are two completely different processes.
The fact that microevolution is true, does not, in any way prove that macroevolution is true. Yet, microevolution is what they point to as proof for macroevolution. There is no proof to show. Saying that one type of finch came from another type of finch does not prove Darwinian Evolution to be true. A cat and a dog cannot breed and produce a cat-dog because they are two distinct “kinds” and God created animals according to their “kind” (Genesis 1:25).
It is true that humans and apes have many similarities. There are many other kinds that are very similar to other kinds, yet they cannot breed and have different genetic makuep. This does not prove evolution, it shows that we have the same Creator.
While secular scientists will insist that the fossil record proves evolution, it very clearly does not. If your worldview is based on millions of years and evolution, and you reject the Bible as a legitimate option, you see everything through those glasses (so to speak). That is how you interpret the fossil record. You see variation within created kinds (Smaller people. Larger people. People with larger heads and smaller heads etc.) and various species that have gone extinct and you immediately force your worldview of millions of years and Darwinian evolution onto them without even considering the possibility of the account of creation given in the first book of the Bible, Genesis. So the different variations of kinds that you see in the fossil record, is not interpreted correctly as microevolution, but macroevolution.
There is also alot of imagination that goes into different archaeological findings. A tooth will be found, for example, and within a few weeks the drawing of a so-called “missing link” will be all over the news. From a single tooth evolutionists will imagine what the entire body looked like and release their drawing and assumptions to the public. The public takes it as fact because “scientists” are behind it. When this happens their initial assumption is almost always wrong. The tooth will turn out to be the tooth of a pig or something else completely different than what they initially assumed.
When it comes down to it Darwinian evolution is based on a stack of assumptions. Take away the assumptions and it falls into pieces.
Is Evolution in the Bible?
Many well-meaning people have fallen for the false notion, due to general indoctrination in schools, universities, liberal media and elsewhere, that evolution is compatible with the Bible. However, the Bible very clearly states that the earth was created in 6 literal days. God created the sun “to rule the day” and the moon “to rule the night.” He created the sun and the moon “for seasons, and for days, and years” (Genesis 1:14-18).
Though literal days should be obvious to anyone who reads the Bible honestly and exegetically (taking meaning out of the words, rather than inserting meaning into them), some eisegetically (inserting meaning into the Bible based on pre-conceived notions, rather than taking meaning out of the words of the Bible) claim that between the events described in Genesis 1 and the events described in Genesis 2, there were millions and millions of years. This is called the “gap theory.” Though there are different versions of this “gap theory” they all fall short.
The primary problem with the gap theory (and it is one of several) is that it asserts that the fossil record was laid during this gap. The reason this is a problem is because in Genesis 1 God said that all that He had made was “very good.” The fossil record is, in itself, the result of death. The Bible clearly states that death came as a result of the sin of Adam, which is recorded in Genesis 2. The fossil record also shows evidence of thorns and thistles, tumors and other results of the fall of mankind (due to sin). So if the gap-theory is correct, then the Bible cannot be trusted. If the Bible cannot be trusted, we cannot trust what it tells us about salvation. If we cannot trust what it tells us about salvation, we have no hope.
The fact is, Christians do not need to force evolution into the Bible. The Bible is the Word of God. It is the solid foundation that can and should be trusted at face value. Nothing in the fossil record or anywhere else has ever accurately contradicted the Bible and nothing ever will. While the theory of evolution requires updating on a regular basis, the Word of God does not.
Something Cannot Come From Nothing
The very foundation of Darwinian evolution is flawed. The starting point of evolution is the theory that everything came from nothing. That in itself is as unscientific as the old belief that the earth is flat (while the Scriptures stated that it was round from the beginning, by the way).
Matthew 7:26-27 “And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.”
If everything came from nothing, we should be able to replicate it in a lab. Not only is this not possible, we are not even able to take dead matter (like a rock, which is ‘something’) and give it life. You cannot bake a cake without ingredients. You can’t get anything, let alone everything, with no ingredients at all. Some modern-day pseudoscientists claim that they can. But their definition of “nothing” is different than that of everyone else. Their definition of “nothing” allows for ingredients that God has provided.
If there were ever a time when nothing existed, nothing could possibly exist today. Something cannot come from nothing. Nothing can come from nothing. Because something exists today, something must have always existed. That “something” is God, the Lord Jesus Christ.
So Where Did We All Come From Then?
We were created by our intelligent, loving, personal God who knows the number of hairs on our heads (Luke 12:7) and every thought and intention of our hearts (Hebrews 4:12, Jeremiah 17:10).
Genesis 1:1 “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.”
We were created by God. Time itself was also created when the earth was created. We exist within time. It is impossible for us to understand how God is eternal because we live within time and that is what we know. But there is a creation, so there must be a Creator, and there is. Those emotions that we feel … that moral law that is within … that conscience that tells us that it is wrong to kick a baby (for example) … it is all from God because we were made in His image (Genesis 1:27). These things cannot be explained by Darwinian evolution, because if it were true, they would not exist.
He reveals Himself to some people. You can KNOW God. Let me first explain the human condition. Then I will explain how YOU can not only know that God exists, but literally know God.
Why Are We Even Here?
God is good and we are bad. That is the problem we all face. that is why disease and suffering exists.
- God created us for His good pleasure (Revelation 4:11). He wants us to love Him for who He is. He wants us to love truth and righteousness and goodness because they are true and right and good. He wants us to hate evil because it is evil.However, He does not force us to do so. If He forced us to love Him and do what is right, that would not be real love. He would have just created a race of robots. This is why He gave us the free will to sin against Him.
- We’ve all chosen to embrace wickedness over righteousness. We’ve all chosen to do things we know are wrong.Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.”
- The wages that God owes us for our sin is death.Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death…”This “death” in the Scriptures is always referring to separation. It never means “ceasing to exist.” This “death” is referring to separation from God. God told Adam and Eve that “in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.” (Genesis 2:17). On the day that they disobeyed God and ate from that tree, they did indeed die. They were separated from God and being their descendants, we are also separated from God.That’s why we can’t have an audible conversation with God and that’s why all of the evil that exists in this world is allowed to go on. We are all dead to God. But this separation from God does not end when our souls separate from our bodies and our bodies die. It extends into eternity. This condemnation has already happened. We are ALREADY condemned (John 3:18).What awaits is eternity separated from God, in hell, forever, because of our wickedness… our willingness to not only sin against God our entire lives, but also to embrace that sin and ignore our Creator, who created us to love righteousness, which is the complete opposite of what we do.Since God is good He must punish sin. If He did not punish sin, He would not be good. Think of a civil judge. If a criminal is brought before him after being cuaght red-handed commiting the crime, would he be a good judge if he let the criminal walk without sentencing him? No, of course not. Sinning against God our entire lives must be punished if God is good (and He is).So, we have a BIG problem!
- Fortunately, God is merciful and has chosen to provide a way for sinners to be saved! You see, about 2,000 years ago God became flesh, in the person of Jesus of Nazareth.Jesus lived a perfect life, unlike you and me, without sin. He then died on a cross, receiving the wages of OUR sin. He not only died physically, but he was “forsaken” by the Father… He also died spiritually!Being 100% man and 100% God, eternal death could not contain Him. Jesus Christ defeated death! Three days after his physical death, He rose again. He’s alive! Jesus came to earth, lived a perfect life and died on that cross so that God could be both Just and the Justifier! He died in our place!John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”Now, sinners can be saved!
- Because of what the Lord Jesus Christ did on that cross, all who repent of their sin and trust in Him, will be saved!Will you do that today?Do you agree that you do things that you know are wrong? Do you agree that Holy God must punish you for your life of crime against Him and His perfect law? If so, you qualify! The only thing left to do is to trust in Jesus Christ as your Savior!Salvation is not about doing more good than bad. It is not about your righteousness at all. You have no righteousness to offer Holy God. Even if you stopped sinning today and starting doing good things for people for the rest of your life, you would still have a book full of charges against you on Judgement Day. You must receive a free gift. You can receive that free gift today. You can receive it right now!Just come to the Lord Jesus Christ, agreeing with Him that you fall short and need grace, then give Him your life and soul!Will you do that right now?Eternity never ends and God does not change. He loves you, but you must come to Him in truth.Revelation 22:17 “And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.”Matthew 11:28-30 “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”